St. Scholastic Monastery
AddressSt. Scholastic Monastery Vittoriosa BRG 1445
Bishop Valguarnera founded a Benedictione monastery in the synagogue the Jews had at Mdina before being expelled from Malta in 1492. The monastery was known as abbatia nuova. During bishop Royas term the two communities lived together in St. Peter’ s Monastery, but Bishop Gargallo restored the two communities. The abbatia nuova went to Vittoriosa in 1604 in the building the nuns of St. Ursula had left there when they went to their new monastery in Valletta. In 1652 the Benedictine nuns took over the old infirmary of the Order for their monastery.