St. Margareth’s Monastery
St. Margaret’ s Convent in Cospicua was founded on the 9th of November, 1726, initially as a home for destitute girls, known as the “Konservatorju ta’ Ġesu’ u Marija” . Its founders were two priests and a young woman by the name of Maria Maddalena Purselli (who later became the first nun). As from the 3rd
of October, 1731, the home started to house the Third Order of the Discalced Carmelites. Eight years later, on the 12th of September 1739, the Holy See issued its approval for it to start functioning as a Convent for enclosed Discalced Carmelite Nuns. One of the leading benefactors was Grand Master de Vilhena.