Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, mass times have changed
Click here to view the new mass times

Żurrieq

Zurrieq is one of the ten parishes which were already in existence in 1436. The present church was built between 1634 and 1659 on plans prepared by Matteolo Saliba, and was dedicated in 1731 by Bishop Alpheran de Bussan.

Parish Population: 11,300

Families: 3,780

Parish Church dedicated to St. Catherine Virgin and Martyr

Dedication date: 30 December 1731

Archpriest

Rev Fr Karm Mercieca

Parish Office

4, Carmel Street,

Żurrieq, ZRQ 1911

Office Hours

Tuesdays and Fridays

9:30am – 11:00am

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

4:30 – 6:00pm

Telephone

2164 2010

Email

parrocca.zurrieq@maltadiocese.org

Parish Clergy

Rev Fr Karm Mercieca, Archpriest

Rev Fr Raymond Cassar

Rev Fr David Torpiano

Rev Fr Karm Camilleri

Priests residing in the parish

Rev Fr Dillon Bugeja

Rev Fr Noel Camilleri

Rev Fr Emmanuel Caruana

Rev Fr John Farrugia

Fr Dionisius Mintoff OFM

Rev Fr Ruben Vella

Parish Pastoral Council

President: Rev Fr Karm Mercieca, Arċipriet

Moderator: Mr Daniel Darmanin

Secretary: Mr Rene Zampa

Parish Economic Council

President: Rev Fr Karm Mercieca

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 6:00; 7:00; 8:30; 9:30; 11:00 am; 6:00 pm

Monday to Saturday6:00, 7:00, 7:45 am (Summer), 6:00 pm (Winter), 6:30pm (Summer)

Other Chuches

St. Mary’s Church at Bubaqra

Before 1658 at Bubaqra there were two churches, one dedicated to St. John and the other to St. Roche; these were closed and instead a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary was built; in 1961 this church was enlarged.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8:00 am, 7:15pm

Tuesdays and Fridays: 6:30pm (Winter), 7:00pm (Summer)

Saturday Evenings: 6:30 pm

Church of the Immaculate Conception at Nigret

The church is part of a palace built in 1658 by the Knight of St. John James Togores de Valemuela. A comunity of Benedictine monks resided in the place for some time before World War I; today the palace is occupied by the Congregation of the Daughters of the Sacred Heart

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 6:30, 7:30am

Saturday Evenings: 5:00; 6:15 pm

Weekdays: 6:45 am

St. James Church

The church was built in 1725 on the site of two earlier churches, one dedicated to St. John the Baptist and the other to St. James. There is a daily Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament from 8.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Church of St. Batholomew

The first church dedicated to St. Bartholomew at Zurrieq was built in 1482 but was closed in 1658; a new church was built between 1775 and 1784 and today this church is used by the various parish associations for their meetings. 

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Church of St. Leo at Bubaqra

The church which is situated in the cemetery at Zurrieq is a very old church; it was closed in 1658 but reopened twenty years later after extensive restoration work. A very old painting on wood which people say it belonged to the chapel which from 1343 to 1575 existed on the islet of Filfla. Mass is celebrated in St. Leo’s church on All Souls Day, on Father’s Day and on Mother’s Day

Priest in charge

Archpriest

St. Agatha’s Church

The church was built in the 16th century and was closed by Bishop Balaguer in 1658 together with a large number of rural churches. It was rebuilt later and enlarged in 1854. Mass is held on the Sunday closest to 5th February, the feast of St Agatha.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Church of St. Andrew

The church was closed in 1658 but reopened later; today it is not being used.

St. Luke’s Church

The church was built in 1468 but because of its bad state Mons. Dusina during his pastoral visit ordered its restoration. Today it is not in use.

Church of St. John the Evangelist

This very old church is situated in front of the Annunciation church at Hal-Millieri; it is no longer in use.

Annunciation church at Ħal Millieri

This is a very old church and was the parish church of Hal Millieri; when this village ceased to exist the church was left derelict. Today it is held in trust by “Din l-Art Ħelwa”.

Church of the Peace Laboratory

In 1971 Fr Dionysius Mintoff O.F.M. took over an Air Force Hangar to use as a centre of peace activities, dedicating it to Pope John XXIII. The area was later on developed as a Peace laboratory. Marriages may be held in the chapel

Priest in charge

Rev. Dionysius Mintoff O.F.M.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 4:00 pm winter; 7:00 am summer

Monday to Saturday: 6:00 pm

Adoration Chapels

St James Chapel

Address

Main Street, Żurrieq

Opening hours

8:00 am – 8:00 pm