Żejtun

  • Zejtun, formerly known as Bisqallin, was already a parish in 1436. The present church was built between 1692 and 1728 and is one of the best works of Lorenzo Gafà; before it was built the old church of St. Catherine, popularly known as old St. Grergory church, served as the parish church.

    Parish Population: 13,000

    Families: 3,902

  • Parish Church Dedicated to St. Catherine Of Alexandria, Virgin and Martyr

    Dedication date: 10 May 1774

  • Archpriest

    Fr Nicholas Pace

  • Parish Office

    2 Triq San Girgor,

    Żejtun

    ZTN 1021

  • Office Hours

    Mondays

    4.30 – 7.00 pm

    Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays

    9.00 – 12.00 pm
    4.30 – 7.00 pm

  • Telephone

    21804273

  • Facebook

    Parrocca Zejtun

  • Parish Clergy

    • Rev Nicholas Pace, Archpriest
    • Rev Dillon Bugeja, Vice Parish Priest
    • Mgr Dr Anthony Abela
    • Rev Frans Mifsud
    • Rev Gorg Spiteri
    • Rev Gino Gauci
    • Rev Remig Saliba
    • Rev Angelo Seychell
    • Rev Mark Spiteri
    • Rev Can Joe Abela
  • Priests residing in the Parish

    • Mgr Carmelo Zammit
    • Rev Timon Merċieca
  • Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Rev Nicholas Pace Archpriest

    Moderator: Ms Neville Grima

    Parish Economic Council

    President: Rev Nicholas Pace

    Secretary: Mr John Spiteri

    Members: Mr Charles Farrugia. Mr Joe Magro, Mr Frans Mercieca

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.30, 8.00, 11.00 am and 6.00 pm

    Saturday Evenings: 5.15, 6.30 pm

    Weekdays: 6.15, 7.45 am and 6.30 pm (Summer), 6.00 pm (Winter)

  • Other Churches

  • Church of St Catherine, known as the Church of St Gregory

    Originally the church was built in the 12th century but the present church dates from 1492: today it serves the pastoral needs of the people living in the area. Formerly on the 12th March each year a procession left the Cathedral Church and proceeded to this church, but later on the day of the procession was changed to Wednesday in Easter Week. Several suggestions have been made with regard to the origin of this votive procession, but in recent years Fr Michael Fsadni O.P. found a document in the Notarial Archives which state the procession was due to a request by the Pope for prayers for peace in all Christian countries, and bishop Cubelles of Malta therefore instituted this procession, which today starts from the church of St. Clement on the outskirts of Zejtun.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Telephone

    2167 7187

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.00, 10.30 am and 7.15 pm (Youth Mass)

    Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm

    Weekdays: 7.30 am

  • Church of Our Lady of Mercy

    The present church was added to a small church built in 1865 on the site of a small chapel which had been demolished and rebuilt several times.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Telephone

    2167 2216

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feastdays: 8.00, 11.00 am

    Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm (Summer); 6.00 pm (Winter)

    Weekdays: 7.00 am

  • Ġebel San Martin Pastoral Centre

    Was inaugurated in 2001 to serve the pastoral needs of the Ġebel San Martin Housing Estate and nearby area which previously was served by St Clement Chapel, which is very limited in space for today’s needs.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev Angelo Seychell

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and feastdays: 10.00 am

    Saturday evenings: 7.00 pm (winter); 7.45 pm (summer)

    Weekdays: 7.30 am

  • Church of the Holy Spirit

    The church was built in 1688 and in 1788 it received a new facade; today there is daily exposition of the Blessed Sacrament from 7.30 am to 1.00 pm and from 3.30 to 4.45 pm.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Church of St. Mary “Tal-Hlas”

    The church was built in 1682 on the site of a much earlier church; it was restored in 1859.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Holy Masses

    Weekdays: 7.45 am

  • Church of the Saviour

    The church was first built in 1500, but was rebuilt in 1747 while restoration work in the building was undertaken about fifty years ago.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev Angelo Seychell

  • Church of St. Clement

    The church was built in 1658. On Wednesday in Easter Week the procession which in ancient times left the Cathedral now starts from this church to proceed to old St. Gregory’s.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev Angelo Seychell

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00 am

  • Church of St. Mary at Hal Tmiem

    The church was built in 1629 and today it is used for for various spiritual encounters and activities.

  • Priest in charge

    Archpriest

  • Church of Jesus of Nazareth

    The inastitute of Jesus of Nazareth was founded by Guseppina Curmi, the daughter of the mayor of Zejtun. The present Institute was built in 1913 while the church was built in 1853 and consecrated in 1958.

  • Holy Masses

    Daily: 7.00 am

  • Tas-Sinjura

  • Holy Mass

    Sundays:  7.00 am

  • Adoration Chapels

    Church of the Holy Spirit

    Address

    St Gregory’s Street, Żejtun

    Opening hours

    7.45 am – 9.00 pm