Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, mass times have changed
Click here to view the new mass times

Siġġiewi

Siġġiewi was already a parish in 1436 but hardly anything has survived of the original church. The present church took thirteen years to build and is dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari. In 1862 the church was enlarged according to plans drawn up by Dr. Nikol Zammit.

Parish Population: 7,700

Families: 2,500

Parish Church dedicated to St Nicholas of Bari

Dedication date: 1 May 1729

Archpriest

Rev Josef Mifsud

Parish Office

37, Parish Street,

Siġġiewi, SGW 1530

Office Hours

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays

Winter: 4:30 – 6:00 pm
Summer: 5:30 – 6:30 pm

Saturdays
9:30 – 11:00 am

E-mail

parrocca.siggiewi@maltadiocese.org

Website

www.siggiewiparish.com

Facebook

Parroċċa San Nikola Siġġiewi

Telephone

2146 0827

Parish Clergy

Rev Josef Mifsud, Parish Priest

Rev Nicholas Aquilina

Rev George Grima

Mgr Daniel Schembri

Dun Mark Spiteri

Rev Martin Micallef

Priests residing in the Parish

Rev Joe Gatt

Rev Reuben Gauci

Rev Dunstan Xuereb

Dun Dione Cutajar

Mgr Paul Vella

Parish Pastoral Council

President: Fr Josef Mifsud, Parish Priest

Moderator: Mr George A. Said Zammit

Secretary: Ms Roberta Farrugia

Parish Ecomonic Council

President: Fr Josef Mifsud, Parish Priest

Secretry: Mr Joseph Agius

Members: Mr Charles Abela, Mr Carmel Abela, Mr Tarcisio Pace

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 6:00, 7:00, 8:00, 9:30, 11:00 am; 5:30 pm

Saturday Evenings: 5:15, 6:30 pm

Weekdays: 5:30, 6:15, 7:00, 7:45 am; 6;30 pm

Other Churches

Holy Trinity Pastoral Centre

The Centre was established to organise pastoral activities among people residing in a recently developed area.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8.15 am

Wednesdays and Fridays: 7.00 am

St. Mark’s Church

The church was built in 1608 on the site of an earlier church.

Priest in charge

Rev George Grima

Holy Masses

Weekdays: 8:00 am

Church of Our Lady of Divine Providence

The church is situated in the locality where once there was the village of Hal Kbir; the church of this village was dedicated to the flight into Egypt and it was closed by Bishop Alpheran. In 1747 a new church was built in the locality and blessed in 1753. In 1815 a portico was added to the church to stregthen it after suffering damages through lightning and an earthquake.

St. Mary’s Church at Ħal Xluq

The church was built in the 15th century. Of the village of Hal Xluq nothing remains except a palace now used as a farmhouse, and a few scattered houses. The feast is celebrated on Sunday following the 15th August.

Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel at Fawwara

The church belongs to the Confraternity of Our Lady of Charity at St. Paul’s church, Valletta; it was built in 1669.

Dar tal-Providenza

In 1962 Malta Catholic Action took over the Navy Rest Camp at Siggiewi to use as a summer camp for children attending Catholic Action Centres. In 1965 Mgr M. Azzopardi started building on the site three seperate homes for disabled persons: Villa Mons. Gonzi for children, Villa Papa Luciani for semi-independent persons, and Villa Papa Giovanni for adults. 

Director

Rev Martin Micallef

Holy Masses

Saturdays, Sundays and Feast Days: 10:00 am

Weekdays: 9:30 am (except Wednesday)

Chapel of the Annunciation at Fawwara

The church was built in 1619 and closed by Bishop Balaguer in 1658; it was rebuilt in 1716 and is situated on the Gebel Ciantar heights at the entrance of Fawwara.

Chapel of the Annunciation at Tal-Għolja

The church was first built in 1430, but was rebuilt in 1464 and again in 1650; destroyed by the 1693 earthquake it was rebuilt from funds provided by the sailors serving on the Order’s galleys; destroyed again by an earthquake in 1856 it was built again a year later.

Chapel of St. John the Baptist

The church was built in 1730 together with a residence for the priest in charge and a Capuchin hospital. The church was officiated by the Capuchins during the war. The feast is celebrated on the last Sunday of August.

St. Mary’s Church at Ċwejra

The church was built in 1742 by the Vittoriosa Dominicans on a piece of land given to them by Grand Master Despuig.

Adoration Chapels

Chapel of St. John the Baptist

Address

St Nicholas’ Square, Siġġiewi 

Opening hours

6:00 am – 10:00 pm