San Ġwann

  • Soon after the War people started building their homes in the area between Birkirkara and St. Julian’s, Archbishop Mgr Michael Gonzi asked the Capuchins to take care of the spiritual welfare of the people residing there. The Capuchins established themselves in the locality in 1956 and started building a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Lourdes. The building of the church was completed in 1959 and in 1965 it bercame the parish church of the locality.

  • Parish Population: 13,500

    Families: 3,500

  • Parish Church of Our Lady of Lourdes

    Dedication date 12 May 1962

  • Parish Priest

    Rev. Emmanuel Abela OFM Cap

  • Parish Office

    Capuchin Friars Convent

    Lourdes Square

    San Ġwann SGN 2010

  • Office Hours

    Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

    9.00 – 11.30 am

    7.00 – 08.00 pm

  • Telephone

    2138 6112 / 3

  • Parish Clergy

    Fr. Emmanuel Abela OFM Cap, Parish Priest & Guardian
    Fr. Joe Grixti OFM Cap, Vice Parish Priest and Taż-Żwejt Zone
    Fr. Joe Libreri OFM Cap, Vice Parish Priest and Mensija Zone
    Fr. Mario Borg OFM Cap
    Fr. John Vella OFM Cap
    Fr. Martin Micallef OFM Cap
    Br. Jesmond Ciantar OFM Cap
    Br. Elmar Pace OFM Cap
  • Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Mr Tony Micallef
    Secretary: Ms Ruth Cauchi

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.30, 10.00, 11.30 am; 6.00 pm

    Saturdays: 7.00, 7.45, 8.30 am; 5.45 pm, 7.00 pm

    Public Holidays: 7.00, 7.45, 8.30 am; 6.30 pm

    Weekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45, 8.30 am; 6.30 pm

  • Other Churches

  • “Nazareth” Pastoral Centre at Taż-Żwejt

  • Priest in charge

    Fr. Joe Grixti OFM Cap

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 9.00 am

    Tuesdays and Fridays: 6.30 pm

    Saturdays: 6.00 pm

  • Mensija Sanctuary

    The church is built over a cave whose existence had been unknown for a long time; a person entering it for the first time saw a light burning in an earthern lamp in front of an old painting of the Virgin. Before the war the church was a rural chapel with only one house in its vicinity. The church was closed by the bishop in 1659 but re-opened when restored. Today marriages may be celebrated in it.

  • Priest in charge

    Fr. Joe Libreri OFM Cap

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 11.00 am

    Saturdays: 5.30pm

    Weekdays: 5.30 pm

  • Chapel of Saints Philip and James

    The church was built in 1730 by the provost of Birkirkara chapter.

  • Chapel of St. Margaret

    The chapel was built in the 16th century but was closed in 1658 to be reopened four years later. During the last war it was completely destroyed but was rebuilt and opened for use in 1990 by prayer groups and church associations.

  • Chapel of St. John of l-Għargħar

    The chapel is situated on the road to Sliema; it was closed by Bishop Balaguer in 1659 but reopened in 1672. When the Capuchins, requested by the Archbishop Mgr Gonzi, established themselves in the locality they used this chapel; today it is used to catechetical instruction.

  • Adoration Chapel

    Chapel of St Margaret

    Address:

    Triq il-Kappella, San Ġwann

    Opening Hours:

    7.30am – 9.00pm