Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, mass times have changed
Click here to view the new mass times

Rabat

The church is built over the ditch of the Roman city which also included a large part of Rabat. The church is also built over the grotto where according to tradition St. Paul was kept prisoner during his three months stay in Malta in 60 A.D. In 1336 bishop Hilarius refers to the church as ecclesia Sancti Pauli de crypta , and also mentions the cemetery and the Roman ditch. Several churches have been built on the site both by the diocese and the Knights of St. John. The present church was built with funds provided by the noble woman Guzmana Navarra on plans prepared by F. Bonamico. The church was completed by Lorenzo Gafà in 1683.

Parish Population: 14,000

Families: 3,100

Parish Church dedicated to Saint Paul

Dedication date: 21 September 1726

Archpriest

Rev. Louis Suban

Parish Office

37, Triq il-Kbira,

Rabat RBT 4013

Office Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:

9:00 am – 10:15 am

5:00 pm – 6:00 pm

Telephone

Office: 2145 4467

E-mail

parrocca.rabat@maltadiocese.org

Website

www.parroccarabat.com

Facebook

Parroċċa San Pawl, Rabat

Parish Clergy

Can. Louis Suban, Archpriest

Can. Claude Mifsud, Vice Archpriest

Rev Joseph Fsadni

Can. John Buhagiar

Priest residing in the Parish

Mgr. Ġwann Azzopardi

Parish Pastoral Council

President: Can. Louis Suban, Archpriest

Chairperson: Ms Marlene Borg

Secretary:  Ms Mary Buttigieg

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 6:00, 7:30, 9:00, 10:30, 12:00 pm and 600 pm

Saturday Evenings: 4:30 pm, 6:00 pm

Weekdays: 6:00, 7:45, 8:30 am; 6:00 pm

Other Churches

St. Publius Church

Juen Benaguas, who came to Malta in 1630 built the first church over St. Paul’s grotto; the church became a collegiate church of the Order of St. John from 1620, and was rebuilt in 1713. In 1962 the church was annexed to the church of St. Paul.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

St Luke Pastoral Centre – Nigret

Due to the increased development of the tan-Nigret locality, the need of a new church was felt; until this church is built a pastoral centre is in use. Marriages may be celebrated in this church.

Priest in charge

Can. John Buhagiar

Address

St Luke Pastoral Centre

Nigret Road

Rabat RBT 4609

Telephone

2145 3347

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8:00, 9:30 am

Saturday Evenings: 7:00 pm

Weekdays: 7:00 am

St. Catald’s Church

The church is built over a crypt and a small catacomb; Masses are occasionally celebrated.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

St. Sebastian’s Church

The church was first built in 1477, rebuilt in 1519 and restored in 1751. The sisters of Charity take care of the church and marriages may be celebrated in it.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Holy Masses

Sundays, Feast Days and Weekdays: 6.30 am

Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary (ta’ Qasgħa)

The church was built about 1550 by a certain Ċensu Qasgħa and was rebuilt 150 years later; a cemetery adjoins it.

Priest in charge

Rev. Can. Michael Attard

Ta’ Duna Church

The church was built in the sixteenth century and enlarged two centuries later; today the members of the Legion of Mary use it for their meetings.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

St. Bartholomew’s Church

The church was built in 1550 and restored at a later date; today it is used for the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Rural Churches

Baħrija – Church dedicated to St Martin of Tours

The church was built by Count Navarra in the sixteenth century. In recent years a larger church was built as the population of Baħrija had increased considerably. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Priest in charge

Rev Ray Francalanza OSA

Email

rayfrancalanza@outlook.com

Address

Dar San Martin

Triq Patri Tumas Xerri,

Baħrija, RBT 6025

Telephone

21454111, 79538289

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00am; 9.00am

Saturdays: 5.30 pm (Winter); 6.00pm (Summer)

Weekdays: 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30pm (Summer)

Mtaħleb- Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary

The church dominates the valley and was built in 1687.

Priest in charge

Rev Joe Fsadni

Holy Masses

Saturdays and Eves of Feast Days: 6.00 pm (summer); 4.00 pm (winter)

Għemieri

The church is part of the Palazzo Gomerino.

Buskett – Church of St. Anthony the Abbot

The church was built in 1663 by Grand Master Nicholas Cotoner and is dedicated to St. Anthony the abbot. St. Nicholas is also venerated in the church. In 1975 the church was closed to the people of the locality, but was re-opened for their benefit in 1986. The Augustinian friars of Rabat take care of the church.

Priest in charge

Fr Raphael Abdilla OSA

Holy Massses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8:00 am

Saturdays: 7:00pm

First Friday of each month: 7:00pm

Tad-Daħla – Church of St. Catherine

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Holy Mass

Saturdays: 6:30pm

Wied Gerżuma – Church of the Immaculate Conception

Grandmaster De Paule wanted to built this church, but it was actually built by his successor Manoel de Vilhena. Marriages may be celebrated in it.

Priest in charge

Rev Ray Francalanza OSA

Holy Masses

Sundays and feastdays: 4:30 pm

Saturdays: 7:00pm

Tas-Salib – Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary

The church was built in 1550 and has remained closed for many years.

Priest in charge

Archpriest

Churches Run By Religious Congregations

Church of the Blessed Virgin (Dominican Friars)

The Dominican friars came to Malta in 1450 and built their first friary at Rabat over a cave where according to tradition the Virgin Mary had spoken to a sportsman who had taken refuge there. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Dedication date: 21 October

Priest in charge

Rev Christopher Caruana OP

Telephone

2145 4592

Address

St Dominic’s Square,

Rabat RBT 2521

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7:00, 8:30, 10:00, 11:15 am (in English)

Saturday Evenings: 6:30 pm

Weekdays: 6:00, 7:30 am; 12:15 pm (winter); 6:30 pm

Church of the Blessed Virgin (Franciscan Minors)

The Friars Minor came to Malta in 1492 and opened their first friary in Rabat. Grand Master L’Isle Adam had a room reserved for him in the friary. The church was enlarged in 1757 through contributions from Italy, Spain and Portugal. Marriages may be celebrated in the church. An oratory adjacent to it belongs to the confraternity of St. Joseph.

Dedication date: 31 October 1790

Priest in charge

Rev Martin Coleiro OFM

Telephone

2145 4594

Address

St Paul’s Street,

Rabat RBT 1245

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 6:00, 8:30 & 11:00am

Saturday Evenings: 6:30 pm (summer); 6:00 pm (winter)

Weekdays: 6:35, 7:30 am; 6:00 pm (winter), 6:30pm (summer)

Church of St. Francis (Franciscan Conventuals)

The Conventual Franciscans came to Malta before the year 1347 and built their church and friary near the hospital of St. Francis, which later on came to be known as Santo Spirito hospital. In 1640 the friary was rebuilt as it was no longer a place suitable to live in; later on the church was also rebuilt by Lorenzo Gafà after being extensively damaged by the 1693 earthquake. In this church a devotion to Our Lady of Good Health developed and continued to increase even when a new painting of the Virgin took the place of the older one: people visiting their sick relatives at the Santo Spirito Hospital and at the Saura hospital used to visit the church to pray the Virgin requesting her help for their sick relatives. The painting was solemnly crowned on the 4th April 1949. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Dedication date: 22 September 1908

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Health

Guardian\Rector

Fr Provincial

Telephone

2145 4225

Address

St Francis Street,

Rabat RBT 1061

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 6:30, 8:00, 930 am

Saturday Evenings: 6:15 pm

Weekdays: 6:45, 7:30 am, 6:15 pm

St. Mark’s Church (Augustinians)

The Augustinian friars came to Malta in 1383 and their first friary was situated outside the walls of Mdina. The friary was demolished in 1551 because of a Turkish attack on Mdina. In 1555 the Cathedral Chapter gave the friars the old church of St. Mark and the area adjacent to it to built their new friary. The present church and friary date from 1558. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Dedication date: 26 June 1906

Priest in charge

Rev David Cortis OSA

Telephone

2145 4111, 2145 9014

Address

St Mark’s Convent,

St Augustine’s Street,

Rabat RBT 1117

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7:30, 10:00 am

Saturday Evenings: 6:00 pm

Weekdays: 7:00am, 6:00 pm

From July – September the evening mass is not held

Annunciation Church (Carmelite Fathers)

The church and friary of the Annunciation were built in 1418 with funds provided by the noble Catherine d’Alagona and given to the Carmelites who had just arrived in Malta. In 1662 the friary was demolished and the stones were used to built the Carmelite friary in Mdina. In 1975 the Carmelites returned back to their first church and friary in Malta and built a retreat house near the old church. Marriages may be held in the church.

Priest in charge

Rev Amadeo Zammit O.Carm.

Telephone

2145 9021

Address

‘Lunzjata’ Retreat House

Lunzjata,

Rabat.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 4:00 pm

Wednesdays: 5:00 pm (winter); 600 pm (summer)

St. Agatha’s Church (Missionary Society of St Paul)

The church built in 1570 over a ancient crypt leading to a series of catacombs; it was enlarged in 1670. During this century the church was given to the Missionary Society of St. Paul soon after it had been founded by Mgr. Depiro; in 1932 the Society started building their Motherhouse adjacent to the church. Marriages may be celebrated in it.

Priest in charge

Rev Frankie Cini MSSP

Telephone

2145 4503

Address

The Motherhouse,

St. Agatha’s,

Rabat

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7:00 am

Weekdays: 6:30 am

Depiro Youth Centre

Priest in charge

Rev Karm Debattista MSSP

Telephone

21459222

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8:30 am

Female Religious Convents

Augustinian Sisters

8, Zondadari Street, Rabat RBT 1170

Tel: 2145 4121

St Dorothy’s Sisters

11, Alessandro Curmi Street, Tal-Virtù, Rabat RBT 2650

Tel: 2145 4429

Dominican Sisters

71, Alessandro Curmi Street, Tal-Virtù, Rabat RBT 2652

Tel: 2145 4893

Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition

St Dominic Square, Rabat RBT 2523

Tel: 2145 92757 (Retreat House: Tel 2145 4612)

Sisters of Charity

23, Casa Santa Giovanna Antida, St Roque Street, Rabat RBT 2402

Tel: 2145 4627

Society of the Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart Convent, Tal-Virtù, Rabat, RBT 2604

Tel: 2145 4131

Daughters of the Sacred Heart

70, Mgr Pietro Pace Convent, G Borg Olivier Road, Rabat, RBT 9042

Tel: 2145 4314

Ursuline Sisters

70, Tal-Virtù Road, Rabat RBT 2602

Tel: 2145 4226

Adoration Chapel

St. Bartholomew’s Church

Address

Triq San Bartilmew, Rabat

Opening hours

Monday – Saturday

9:00 am – 5:00 pm