The information provided on this page is not updated.
Kindly visit the new Secretariat for Parishes website.


  • The Cathedral at Mdina was for about three hundred years the only large church on the island. The building, erected during the Norman period, suffered considerable damage through an earthquake on the 11th of January 1693; rebuilt by Lorenzo Gafà, it was dedicated on the 8th of October 1702.

    Parish Population: 300
    Families: 85
  • Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Paul

    Dedication date: 8 October 1702
  • Archpriest

    Mgr Anthony Cassar
  • Parish Office

    4, Saint Paul Square,
    Mdina MDN 1100.
  • Office Hours

    Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays (except Public Holidays):
    4.30 – 5.30 p.m.
  • Telephone

    21 45 66 20 (Office)
    21 45 41 36 (Cathedral)


  • Clergy (members of the Cathedral Chapter attached to the Cathedral)

    Mgr Joseph Galea Curmi, Vicar General
    Mgr Anthony Cassar, Archpriest

    Mgr Prof. Vincent Borg

    Mgr Prof. Carmel Cassar

    Mgr. Aloysius Deguara

    Mgr Joseph Dalmas

    Mgr Joseph Carabott

    Mgr Vincent Deguara

    Mgr. Joseph Mifsud Bonnici

    Mgr Louis Camilleri

    Mgr Carmel Farrugia

    Mgr Saviour Micallef

    Mgr Anton Gouder

    Mgr Gwann Azzoppardi

    Mgr Frans Abdilla

    Mgr Charles Cordina

    Mgr George Grima

  • Priest resident at the Parish

    Rev Charles Bugeja

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Msgr. Anthony Cassar, Archpriest
    Secretary: Mrs Tessie Cassar
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 9.30, 11.00 a.m., 6.00p.m.
    Saturdays: 9.00am, 6.00pm
    Weekdays: 9.00 a.m.; 6.00 p.m.
  • Other Churches

  • Church of Our Lady of Light

    Since 1393 a church dedicated to the Holy Cross existed were today there is the church of Our Lady of Light. The church of the Holy Cross was demolished in 1681 and a church dedicated to St. Roche was built in its place; a “sottoquadro” of the “Madonna della Luce” was put in the church and soon it became known as the church of Our Lady of Light.
  • Visitation Church

    This is a very old church which already existed in 1575; it was rebuilt several times, the last time being 1720. At present the church is kept closed.
  • Church of St. Peter

    According to a report by Bishop Royas, the church was a very old one, but was rebuilt after Mgr. Dusina’s visit. It took over 30 years to be built but then it was well kept by the persons in charge of it; during the last war it was taken over by refugees from the port area but was restored in 1956 and provided with an altar piece depicting St. Peter in chains, painted by Caffaro Rore. Today it is used by various organizations for their meetings.
  • St. Agatha’s Church

    The church was built in 1417 and rebuilt in 1694; it has always been well-kept and today it belongs to the Seminary; it has been recently restored.
  • Church of St. Nicholas

    The church was already in existence in 1434 and rebuilt in 1685, most probably by Lorenzo Gafà. The church today is more or less derelict and is used as a store for Cathedral furnishings.
  • Church of the Saviour

    The church is first mentioned in 1436 but later records say that the church was completely abandoned; in the 16th century the church was well-kept and endowed; at the beginning of the last century the church ceased to exist although parts of it were incorporated in private buildings. The church was not far away from the Cathedral and the name of a street there recalls its existence.
  • Victory Church

    The church which lies on the Rabat Road was first built in 1431 and rebuilt in 1754. It was demolished by bombs in the last war but the image of the Virgin venerated in the church did not suffer any damage and it soon became a centre of devotion. The church was rebuilt in 1956.
  • Holy Masses

    Saturdays: 7.30 pm
  • Church of St. Paul

    The church is situated on the outskirts of Mosta and is a benefice of the Cathedral.
  • Church of St. James

    The church is situated below Boschetto Gardens and is a Cathedral benefice.
  • Church of St. Blasé

    The church is situated on the side of the Siggiewi-Rabat Road and is a Cathedral benefice.
  • Churches Run By The Religious

  • St. Peter’s Monastery

    In 1418 the ancient hospital of St. Peter became a Monastery for Benedictine nuns; renovated and enlarged in 1625, it received the relics of St. Felicissima in 1833 from the Catacomb of St. Cyriaca in Rome.
  • Priest in charge

    Fr Ray Toledo
  • Telephone

    21 45 43 55
  • Address

    St Peter Monastery,
    Triq Villegaignon,
    Mdina MDN 1193
  • Holy Masses

    Daily: 8.00 a.m.
  • Carmelite Church of the Annunciation

    The Carmelite friars built their church and friary within the walls of Mdina in 1659 next to a small church dedicated to the Vergine della Rocca, given to them by bishop Balaguer on condition that one of the altars be dedicated to the Vergine della Rocca. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.
    Dedication date: 2 March 1906
  • Priest in charge

    P. Charlo Camilleri O. Carm.
  • Telephone

    21 45 45 24
  • Address

    Carmelites Convent,
    Triq Villegaignon,
    Mdina MDN 1190
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 5.30, 7.00, 8.30 a.m.
    Weekdays: 7.00 a.m.
    Wednesdays: 7.00 a.m.; 5.30 p.m.