Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, mass times have changed
Click here to view the new mass times

Kalkara

  • With people moving to Kalkara the need of a church was soon felt and in 1890 a church dedicated to St. Joseph was built. Kalkara became a parish in 1897 and the parish church was dedicated in 1821. Bombs demolished the church during the last war and a new church was built in a more central position.

  •  

    Parish Population: 3,010

    Families: 1,000

  • St Joseph Parish Church

    Dedication date 12 December 1954

  • Parish Priest

    Rev Brian Gialanze’

    Mobile: 7970 8879

  • Parish Office

    Misraħ Arċisqof Gonzi,
    Kalkara KKR 1511

  • Office Hours

    Wednesdays

    4.30 – 5.30 pm

    Saturdays

    9.00 – 11.00am

    By appointment – please call mobile no: 79201361

  • Telephone

    21826438

  • Parish Clergy

    • Rev Brian Gialanze’, Parish Priest
    • Mgr Paul Raggio
    • Fr John Berry

    Parish Pastoral Council

    • President:  Rev Brian Gialanze’ Parish Priest
    • Moderator: Mr  John Genovese

    Parish Economic Council

    • President Rev Brian Gialanze’ Parish Priest
    • Members Mr Martin Navarro, Mr Victor Delceppo
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.30, 10.30 am; 5.30 pm winter; 6.00 pm summer

    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm winter; 6.30 pm summer

    Weekdays: 7.30 am(during school); 8.00 am (Saturdays and Summer Holidays) 6.00pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)

  • Other Churches

  • Chapel at Wied Għammieq

    The 1837 cholera victims who died in Fort Ricasoli were buried in a cemetery hastily erected at Wied Ghammieq. In 1878 the cemetery was given a facelift and became a centre of devotion for the souls of the faithful departed.

  • Priest in charge

    The Parish Priest

  • Curator

    Mr Emanuel Calleja (Tel: 21690339)

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays: 11.30 am

  • Chapel of Our Saviour

    On the hill between Rinella and Kalkara creeks there was a very old chapel which was destroyed during the Great Siege of 1565. In was rebuilt again in 1651 and served as a parish church when the church of St. Joseph was destroyed by bombs during the last war.

    Masses:

    Every first Friday of the month: 9.00 am

    Sundays: 7.00 pm

  • St. Barbara’s Church known as St. Liberata’s Church

    In 1736 the Capuchins started building a friary and a church on the road leading from Zabbar to Kalkara. The building of the church and friary was completed in 1743 and on the 2nd August of that same year the church was blessed and opened to the public. In 1758 Pope Benedict XIV gave the relics of the martyr St. Liberata to the friars to be venerated in their church. Marriages may be celeebrated in the church.

    Dedication date 18 June 1747

  • Priest in charge

    Fr Effie Mallia OFM Cap

  • Telephone

    21825724 – 21800612

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.00, 8.00, 10.00 am

    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)

    Weekdays: 6.45am, 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)                                                                                                                           

  • Adoration Chapels

    Chapel of Our Saviour

    Address

    Triq is-Salvatur, Kalkara

    Opening hours

    Fridays:
    9:00 – 10:30 am
    4:00 – 5:00 pm

    St. Barbara’s Church known as St. Liberata’s Church

    Address

    Church Street, Kalkara

    Opening hours

    Fridays:
    9.00 to 10.30 am
    4.00 to 5.30  pm