The information provided on this page is not updated.
Kindly visit the new Secretariat for Parishes website.


  • The devotion to Our Lady of Divine Grace dates back to many centuries and the Sanctuary has since been a centre of frequent pilgrimages. Ħaż-Żabbar became a parish in 1615. The present Sanctuary was built on plans by Tommaso Dingli between 1641 and 1696. In 1738 a new facade designed by Giovanni Bonavia was given to the Sanctuary. The titular painting by the Maltese artist Alessio Erardi was made in 1715. In 1951 it was solemnly crowned by Archbishop Michael Gonzi. During 2001 a 12 star silver diadem was placed by Archbishop Joseph Mercieca.

    Parish Population: 17,000

    Families: 5,000

  • Parish Church dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Grace

    Dedication date 31 October 1784

  • Parish Priest

    Can Evan Caruana

  • Parish Office

    Sanctuary Street


    ZBR 1013

  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays and Fridays

    9.30 – 11.00 am

    Mondays and Wednesdays

    5.00 – 7.00 pm

  • Telephone

    2182 4383

  • Parish Clergy

    • Can Evan Caruana, Archpriest
    • Rev Ġuzepp Farrugia, Vice Parish Priest
    • Rev Joseph Ellul, Vice Parish Priest
    • Rev Faustino Ellul (Rector St Andrew Zone)
    • Rev Colin Apap (Rector Xgħajra Zone)
    • Rev Paul Fenech
    • Rev Joe Galea
    • Rev Ġuzepp Sultana
    • Rev Stephen Attard

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Can Evan Caruana, Parish Priest

    Moderator: Silvan Spagnol

    Secretary: Catherine Ordway

    Parish Economic Council

    President: Can Evan Caruana, 

    Members: Michael Xuereb, Reuben Pullicino, Paul Magro

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.15, 8.30, 10.15, 11.30 am; 5.30 pm
    Saturday Evenings: 5.00 pm; 6.15 pm
    Baptisms (every three weeks): 4.30 pm
    Weekdays: 6.00, 7.15, 8.30 am; 6.00 pm (Winter), 6.30pm (Summer)
  • Other Churches

  • St. Mary’s Church

    This church is also known by the title “ta’ l-indirizz” (a guide towards eternal salvation) and is the only one having this title in Malta. It was built during the 17th century replacing a much older chapel. During the French blocade it served as a parish church because of the great damage suffered by the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Divine Grace. Today not only Masses are celebrated in the church but catechetical instruction is also given.

  • Holy Masses

    Daily (except Mondays): 7.00 am

    Rector: The Archpriest

  • Marija Bambina Pastoral Centre

    The centre is used for catechetical instruction and Masses are celebrated there on certain days.

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 9.00 am

    Thursdays: 6.00 pm (Winter); 6.30 pm (Summer)

    Rector: The Archpriest

  • Church of Our Lady of Mercy

    This chapel is part of the parish cemetery which is in use since 1676. It is used for funerary services and other Masses during the year.

  • Holy Masses

    Mondays: 4.30 pm

    Rector: Archpriest

  • Annunciation Church

    The present church was built in 1861 on the site of an older church built in 1610; today it is used by the Catechumenate Movement.

  • Eucharistic Adoration

    Mondays to Fridays 8.00 am – 7.00 pm

  • St Nicholas Church

    This church was built in the 16th Century and was partially damaged during the Second World War. Today it is used for prayer meetings.

  • St Domenica’s Church

    This church was built in 1954 replacing an older one that was heavily damaged during the Second World War. The old chapel was decorated with beautiful frescoes, the central one was saved and is preserved in the Sanctuary Museum.

  • Church of Our Lady “Tal-Plier”

    This church owes its origin to Joseph Testaferrata who in 1585 left a legacy for the celebration of its patronal feast. This church is situated in the centre of the housing estate built recently, in a locality known as “Tal-Plier”.

  • Ursuline Sisters Church

    This church forms part of the Convent of the Ursuline Sisters. It was built between 1983 and 1986.

  • Telephone

    2180 3974

  • St Andrew Church

    The church situated near the church of St Domenica was built in the fifteenth century for the people living in the outskirts of the village. Today it serves as a headquarters for the Żabbar Scout Group.

  • Holy Cross Church

    The church that was blesssed on the 3rd April 1993, serves the pastoral needs of the people living in the area. Adjoining it is the St. Andrew’s Pastoral Centre used for catechism classes.



  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.00 am

    Saturday Evenings: 5.30 pm in winter; 6.00 pm in summer

    Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 8.30 am

    Tuesdays and Thursdays: 6.00 pm (Winter) and 6.30 pm (Summer)

  • St. James Church – Xgħajra

    The church was built in 1933 to cater for the spiritual needs of the people living in the area.

  • Telephone

    2169 0241

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 11.00 am and 6.00 pm

    Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm

    Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 6.00pm

    Tuesdays and Thursdays: 8.30am

  • St. Joseph Church

    The chapel is the Convent chapel of the Dominican Sisters and caters for the pastoral needs of the people living in the Housing Estate.

  • Telephone

    2182 4740

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00 am

    Weekdays: 7.00 am

  • Nazareth Pastoral Centre

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays: 8.30 am

    Fridays: 6.00 pm

  • Adoration Chapels

    Lunzjata Chapel

    Main Street, Żabbar
    Opening hours
    7.00 am – 7.00 pm

    ‘Tal-Plier’ Chapel

    St Mary’s Street, Żabbar
    Opening hours
    Mon- Sat: 7.00 am – 5.00 pm