The information provided on this page is not updated.
Kindly visit the new Secretariat for Parishes website.

Ħal Għargħur

  • Bishop Gargallo elevated the village of Ħal Għargħur to the dignity of a parish on the 16th July 1610. The present church, dedicated to the Apostle St. Bartholomew, was built in 1610 and was consacrated by bishop Alpheran de Bussan on the 22nd April 1736.

  • Parish Population: 2,300

    Families: 800

  • Parish Church of the Apostle St. Bartholomew

    Dedication date 22 ta’ April 1736

  • Parish Priest

    Rev Christopher Galea

  • Parish Office

    10, Triq Ferdinand,
    Ħal Għargħur GĦR 1453

  • Office Hours

    Mondays:  4:00 – 5:30 pm

  • Telephone

    Office and Home: 21411853

  • Parish Clergy

    Rev  Christopher Galea Parish Priest

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Rev Christopher Galea Parish Priest

    Moderator: Mr Stephen Gauci

    Secretary: Ms Elaine Muscat

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.30, 9.00, 10.30 am and 5.00 pm

    Saturday Evenings: 6.15 pm

    Weekdays: 6.45 am, 6.15 pm

  • Other Churches

  • Church of the Assumption (taż-Żellieqa)

    Mgr. Dusina, during his pastoral visit in 1575, recorded that the church was built by a young woman as a thanksgiving act for a grace she received during an apparition of the Virgin which took place in 1560. The church was rebuilt in 1650, and is opened regularly every Saturday from 8.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.

  • Priest in charge

    Parish Priest

  • Holy Mass

    Every first Saturday of the month 7.30 am

  • St. Nicholas Church

    The church was first built in the 15th century, but Mgr. Dusina closed it together with a large number of rural and village churches. It was rebuilt in 1656. It is now open for Eucharistic Adoration daily between 6.30 am and 8.30 pm; on Sundays between 8.00 and noon.

  • Church of St. John the Baptist

    This is a very old church and served as a parish church for the Ħal Għargħur people until the time when the present church was built. Bishop Balaguer closed it in 1659 but was later re-opened. The village cemetery is adjacent to it.

  • Holy Mass

    First Monday of the month of November: 11.30 am

  • Chapel of St. Mary (ta’ Bernarda)

    This chapel existed at the time of Mgr Dusina’s visit but was rebuilt in 1655. It is known as “Ta’ Bernarda” because it was built by a certain Bernarda Cauchi in 1571. She donated it to the Church.

  • St. Mary’s Chapel at Magħtab

    The chapel was built in the 18th century on the site of an earlier church which is mentioned in the Acts of Mgr Dusina’s Pastoral Visit.

  • Porziuncola Retreat House

    In 1959 the Franciscan friars started building a retreat house at Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, although they had been living in a house in the area since 1947. From the 14 July 1964 retreats and meetings have been held in the house regularly throughout each year.

  • Director

    Mr Paul Camilleri

  • Telephone


  • Address

    Porzjunkola Retreat House,

    Triq il-Porzjunkola,

    Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq NXR 5272

  • Church of St. Mary of the Angels

    The Franciscan friars since 1947 resided in a small house at Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq near the church of St. John the Evangelist. On the 16 July 1973 they started building a new church, a small convent and a pastoral centre, which were blessed on the 2nd August 1995. The church was consecrated on 2nd August 2000.

  • Priest in charge

    Rev. Julian Sammut OFM

  • Telephone


  • Address

    St Mary of the Angels Conventi,

    Triq ix-Xambekk,

    Baħar ic-Ċagħaq NXR 5073

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 8.30, 10.30 am

    Mondays to Fridays:  8.00 am and 6.30pm 

    Saturdays: 8.00 am and 6.30 pm

  • Adoration Chapels

    St Nicholas’ Chapel


    St Nicholas’ Street, Ħal-Għargħur

    Opening hours

    Monday – Saturday
    5.30 am – 6.00 pm
    5.30 am – 12.00 pm