The information provided on this page is not updated.
Kindly visit the new Secretariat for Parishes website.


  • On the 10th July 1902 some drunken sailors started throwing stone at a house near the bridge leading to Manoel island; one of the stones became stuck between the glass and the image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in a small shrine on the wall of the house. The incident led to the building of a small chapel which came to be known as the chapel of Our Lady of the Stone. In 1921 Gzira became a parish and the people in the area started building a new church to take the place of the chapel. The church is dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

    Parish Population: 7,000

    Families: 2,600

  • Parish Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

    Dedication date 23 May 1959

  • Parish Priest

    Rev Fr Gordon Refalo

  • Parish Office

    Domus Curialis,

    119, Triq Manoel De Vilhena

    Gzira GZR 1016

  • Office Hours


    9.00 am -10.30 am
    4.30 pm – 6.00 pm


    9.00 am – 10.30 am

  • Telephone


  • Parish Clergy

    Rev Fr Gordon Refalo, Parish Priest
    Rev Fr Darren Pace, Vice Parish Priest
    Rev Fr Vincent Sciortino

    Parish Partoral Council:

    President: Rev Fr Gordon Refalo, Parish Priest
    Moderator: Mr Aldo Fenech
    Secretary: Ms Myriam Campbell

    Parish Economical Council

    Rev Fr Gordon Refalo, Parish Priest
    Members: Ms Marlene Briffa, Mr Paul Camilleri, Mr Richard Beck
  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.15, 9.30, 11.00am; 6.00 pm (winter); 6.30 pm (summer)

    Saturday Evenings: 5.00 pm; 6.30 pm

    Weekdays: 6.45, 7.30, 8.30am ; 6.00 pm (winter); 6.30 pm (summer), 7.00pm (for the six weeks after Easter)

  • Other Churches

  • Stella Maris College Chapel

    The school which the Christian Brothers had opened in Villa Schinas in 1904, was transferred to the new school which they built in 1938. Twenty years later the College chapel was opened to the people residing in the College area. Marriages may be celebrated in it.

  • Brother in charge

    Br Austin Gili FSC

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 09.15 am

    Saturdays: 06.15 pm

  • Church of the Redeemer

    The church was built by a certain Albert Grixti without the approval of the ecclesiastical authorities; permission was given to open the church when it was handed to the Augustinian Sisters who had opened a school in the vicinity. Today the church is taken care of by the parish.

  • Adoration Chapels

    Gzira Parish


    22, Carlo Manchè Street, Gzira

    Opening hours

    6.00 am – 11.00 pm