Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, mass times have changed
Click here to view the new mass times

Gwardamanġa

In 1952 the Dominican friars, through the efforts of their provincial, Fr. Esmond Klimeck, built the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima on Gwardamanġa hill; the Sanctuary had to be a centre of the Rosary Crusade. The church was opened in 1955 and became a parish in 1968.

Parish Population: 3,000

Families: 900

Parish Church of Our Lady of Fatima

Dedication date: 29 May 1978

Parish Priest

Rev. Vince Micallef OP

Parish Office

Fatima Sanctuary

Triq Santa Monika

Gwardamanġa PTA 3111

Office Hours

Mondays and Saturdays

9:30 – 11:00 am

Mondays and Wednesdays

5:00 – 7:00 pm

Telephone

Office: 21220050
Convent: 21233620

E-mail

parrocca.guardamangia@maltadiocese.org

Website

www.fatimaop.webs.com

Parish Clergy

Rev. Vince Micallef OP Parish Priest and Superior
Rev. Ġiġi Sapiano OP Vice Parish Priest
Rev. Reginald Borg OP
Rev. Daniel Bonello OP
Rev. Mark Montebello OP
Rev. Joseph Vassallo OP

Parish Pastoral Council

President: P. Vince Micallef OP, Kappillan 

Moderator:  Mr Ramon Borg

Secretary:  Ms. Pauline Grech

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8:00, 10:00 am, 12:00 pm and 6:00 pm

Saturday Evenings: 6:00 pm

Weekdays: 7:00 am, 9:00 am, 6:30 pm

Other Churches

Church of Our Lady of Sorrows

The church was built in 1590 near a cemetery where the victims of the plague are buried; in 1617 a small friary was added to the church by the Augustinian friars who took residence in the small friary in 1652 but left soon after. In 1721 the church was chosen as a subsidiary parish church of the parish of St. Paul in Valletta to cater for the spiritual needs of the people living in the area. In 1740 the Floriana church was chosen as the subsidiary parish church of St. Paul’s and the Pieta church lost its status. In 1974 the church and the friary were given to the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7:00 am

Saturday Evenings: 5:00 pm

Weekdays: 7:00 am

Friary of St. Thomas of Villanova

The school which the Augustinian friars had opened at Tarxien was transferred to Pieta in 1965 and a year later the friars started building the new college which was opened in 1972. Adjacent to the college is the Centre for Augustinian Vocations. The chapel of the Centre is dedicated to St. Thomas of Villanova, while that of the college is dedicated to St. Augustine.

Church of the Blessed Virgin of Loreto

The church belongs to the Ursuline convent and was opened in 1938; marriages may be celebrated in it. The Dominican Friars at Gwardamanga officate in the church.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7:00, 8:00 am

Weekdays: 6:30 am

Adoration Chapels

Gwardamanġa Parish

Address

St Monica’s Street, Gwardamanġa

Opening hours

24 hours a day