The information provided on this page is not updated.
Kindly visit the new Secretariat for Parishes website.


  • Birmiftuh was one of the ten parishes mentioned by Senator De Mello in a document he drew up in 1436; the old parish church of Birmiftuh still exists but not the village. This church is now part of Gudja parish, whose parish church was built in 1656.

    Parish Population: 3,000

    Families: 1,000

  • Parish Church of the Assumption

    Dedication date 11th December 1785

  • Archpriest

    Can. Fr Norman Zammit

  • Parish Office

    Domus Curialis,
    3 Parish Priest Street,
    Gudja GDJ 1081

  • Office Hours

    Tuesdays and Fridays

    10.00 am – 12.00 pm
    5.00 pm – 06.30 pm

  • Telephone


  • Parish Clergy

    Can. Fr Norman Zammit, Archpriest
    Rev Daniel Farrugia
    Rev Carmelo Farrugia

  • Priest resident in the Parish

    Rev Tony Pace
    Rev Trevor Fairclough

    Parish Pastoral Council

    President: Can. Fr Norman Zammit, Archpriest

    Chairperson: Roderick Bilocca

    Secretary:  Jonathan Farrugia

    Parish Economic Council

    President: Archpriest

    Members: George Baldacchino, Joseph Grixti, Joe Xuereb

  • Holy Masses

    Sundays and Feast Days: 7:00, 8:30, 10:00 am; 5:30 pm

    Saturdays: 7:00, 8:00 am; 6:30 pm

    Weekdays: 7:00, 8:00 am; 6:30 pm (Oct – March); 7:00 pm (April – Sept)

  • Other Churches

  • St. Mary’s Chapel at Birmiftuħ

    A medieval church which was the parish church of the locality; it is open every first Sunday of the month in the morning. This chapel has been given as a “trust” for 150 years to “Din l-Art Ħelwa” on 1st February 1970.

  • Priest in charge


  • Annunciation Church

    There were three churches dedicated to the Annunciation in Gudja; the first was in the area “Ta’ Durbies”, the second was in the centre of the village and bishop Alpheran wanted it to be demolished, and another one was built in its place; the third was built in 1754 and today it is used for various meetings. It is open every Sunday in the mornings.

  • Priest in charge


  • Church of Our Lady of Loreto

    The church was already in existence in 1550 according to an inscription near the church. It was rebuilt after the 1676 plague and restored in 1820. During the last war it was hit by bombs, but was reopened in 1943. Today it is open every Sunday morning and marriages may be celebrated in it.

  • Priest in charge


  • St. Catherine’s Church

    This is a very old church, but the present one dates from 1661; today it is used only as a store for church furnishings.

  • Priest in charge