Cospicua (Bormla)

Cospicua became a parish in 1586 and the parish church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, was elevated to the dignity of collegiate church in 1822. The image of the Blessed Virgin above the high altar was crowned by Cardinal Ferrata in 1905 and, fifty years later, Cardinal Tedeschini adorned it with a halo of twelve stars.

Parish Population: 5, 657

Families: 1,600

Collegiate Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception

Dedication date: 25 May, 1732

Archpriest

Rev. Can. Anton Cassar

Parish Office

65, Triq il-Gendus, Bormla BML 1025

Office Hours

Tuesdays: 10:30 – 11:30 am

Thursdays: 5:30 – 7:00 pm

Telephone

21828 413

E-mail

parrocca.bormla@maltadiocese.org

Website

www.cospicuaparish.org.mt

Facebook

Kolleġġjata Marija Immakulata Bormla​

Parish Clergy

Rev. Can. Anton Cassar – Archpriest 

Rev. Can. Joseph Abela

Rev. Can. Jesmond Manicaro

Rev. Can. Ruben Vella

Other priest residing in the Parish

Rev. Joe Henry Abela

Parish Pastoral Council

President: Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 

Chairperson: Ms Sylvana Attard

Secretary: Vacant

Parish Economic Council

President: Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 

Chairperson: Mr Kelsey Ferriggi.

Secretary: Mrs Gretel Busuttil.

Members: Ms Osanna Causon and Mr Conrad Busuttil.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days:  6:45, 9:15, 11:45 am and 5:00 pm

Saturday Evenings: 4:45 and 6:00 pm

Weekdays: 6:45, 8:30 am and 6:00 pm

Other Churches In The Parish

St Paul’s Church

The church was built in 1741 on the site of an older church built in 1590. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Priest in charge

Rev. Can. Anton Cassar – Archpriest 

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 8:15 am

Saturdays: 5:30 pm

Weekdays: 7:15 am

St Thomas Chapel

Priest in charge

Rev. Can. Anton Cassar – Archpriest 

Holy Family Pastoral Centre

The Domus is a centre for the teaching of Catechism to children and adolescents, young people and adults, senior citizens and other meetings.

Priest in charge

Rev. Can. Anton Cassar, Archpriest 

St Joseph Conservatory

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast days: 9:30 am

Chapel of the Ursuline Sisters

The Ursuline Sisters started building their convent in 1952 and two years later they began their mission in the area caring for and educating children.

Chapel of the Franciscan Sisters

The Franciscan Sisters opened their school in Cospicua in 1889. The convent and school were totally destroyed by bombs during the War, but were rebuilt so that the sisters could continue their mission of educating and teaching children.

Holy Masses

Weekdays: 6:30 am

Sundays and Feastdays: 7:00 am

St Margaret’s Monastery

The monastery was built as an orphanage in 1726 by two priests, aided by a lady who with some of her friends took care of the orphanage. The ladies lived as a community of religious of the Third Order of the Discalced Carmelites. Grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena insisted that the ladies should take the habit of the second order of the Discalced Carmelites and in 1739 seventeen nuns made their religious profession before Bishop Alpheran de Bussan.

Dedication date: 28 October 1787

Priest in charge

Discalsed Carmelite Friars

Telephone

2182 0558

Holy Masses

Sundays, Feast Days and Weekdays: 7:15 am

Church of St Therese of Jesus

The church and friary of the Discalced Carmelites was built in 1625 and for over two centuries it was the only church and friary which the discalced Carmelites had in Malta.

Dedication date: 18 March 1797

Priest in charge

Rev. Juan Debono OCD

Telephone

2182 6111

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7:15, 8:45, 10:15 am and 4:15 pm

Saturday Evenings: 6:30 pm

Weekdays: 6:15, 8:00 am and 6:30 pm

Adoration Chapels

St Paul’s Church

Address

St Paul’s Street, Cospicua

Opening hours

Monday- Friday: 7:30 am – 8:00 pm

Saturday: 7:30 am – 12:00 pm