Birżebbuġa

Birżebbuġa became a parish on the 9th September 1913, and the small church of Our Lady of Sorrows became the parish church; steps were immediately taken in hand to build a larger church which was opened for worship on the 16th June 1938

Parish Population: 10,532
Families: 3,200

Parish Church of St Peter in Chains

Dedication date 14 May 1977

Parish Priest

Can Anton Galea Scannura 

Parish Office

2, Curate Fenech Street
Birżebbuġa BBG 2031

Office Hours

Mondays: 9:00 am – 11:00 am; 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Wednesdays: 4:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Fridays: 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm

Telephone

2165 1200

Website

www.bugaparish.org

Facebook

Parroċċa ta’ San Pietru fil-Ktajjen Birżebbuġa

E-mail

parrocca.birzebbugia@maltadiocese.org

Parish Clergy

Can. Anton Galea Scannura – Parish Priest
Rev. Fr Ryan Lee Pace – Vice Parish Priest
Rev. Mgr Frans Schembri
Rev. Joseph Berry
Rev. Mgr. Alfred Micallef
Rev. Fr Charles Carabott
Rev. Fr Peter Ellul

Priests resident in the parish

Rev. Dr John Anthony Berry
Rev. Fr Colin Apap
Rev. Mgr Joe Magro
Rev. Prof. Rene’ Camilleri

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days:  6.30, 8.00, 9.00, 11.00 am; 5.30pm, 7.00pm (Winter); 6.00pm, 7.30pm (Summer);

Saturday Evenings: 5.30, 6.30pm, 7.30pm (Summer);

Weekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45, 8.30 am and 6.30 pm

Other Churches

Church of Our Lady of Sorrows

The church was opened in 1907 and served as parish church till the present church was built; today it is used by various groups.

St George’s Church

The church existed already in 1575; and was re-opened in 1683 and at present it is being used by the priests of the Missionary Society of St Paul. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7.30 am, and 9.30 am (in English)

Chapel of the Good Shepherd

Priest in charge

Can. Anton Galea Scannura  – Parish Priest

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 10.00 am

Immaculate Conception Church at Bengħisa

The Church was built in 1822 and enlarged in 1862. Mass on Sundays and Feast Days is celebrated for the people residing in the area. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.

Priest in charge

Rev. Joseph Berry

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00 am

Holy Family Chapel

Built in 1865. At present it is being used for Adoration.

Chapel of Our Lady Help of Christians

The chapel was built in 1833 and is the property of the Cachia Zammit family.

St Joseph Chapel

The chapel was built in 1871 and is private property.

Chapel of Our Lady Untier of Knots (Qajjenza)

The chapel is situated in Triq il-Mandolina, limits of Qajjenza, and is also used for catechism lessons.

Holy Masses

Sundays and Feast Days: 9:00 am

Adoration Chapel

Holy Family Chapel

Address

Żurrieq Street, Birżebbuġa

Opening Hours

Monday – Saturday:  8.30am – 8.00pm